What are we about
LendInvest (www.lendinvest.com) is the UK’s leading online platform for property finance and investing. Since launching in 2008, LendInvest has lent over £1.5 billion ($1.9 billion) to help buy, build or renovate over 5,000 homes across the UK.
LendInvest uses technology to provide borrowers with short-term bridging finance, development finance and Buy-To-Let; and investors that include retail investors (in our London Stock Exchange listed bond), investors on our Online Investment Platform and some of the world’s largest financial institutions, with stable income secured against property.
LendInvest is still majority owned by the founders and staff of the business, but has also raised equity from the same investors that founded Skype, and early investors in financial technology businesses like Klarna, Stripe and SoFi.
What is the role about?
Lendinvest has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Buy-to-let (BTL) Underwriter to join the expanding Lending Operations Team. This is a new role within a new team and you will be responsible for the underwriting of BTL loans from enquiry stage through to completion. You will be required to demonstrate a good understanding and experience of assessing credit risk on borrower applications, valuations and legals whilst taking a balanced view on the risk return for the business. You will be responsible for rationalising your decisions and assisting with making commercial decisions to ensure cases complete quickly whilst following the Lendinvest Lending Policy and providing positive outcomes for the customer.
What you'll be doing
- Demonstrate an excellent knowledge of Lendinvest Lending and the Financial Crime Policies
- Deal with initial broker/BDM leads according to the defined SLA
- Deal with initial case assessments according to the defined SLA
- Full case approval/underwriting according to SLA including lending rationale that ensures lending decision is clear without recourse to the underwriter
- Deal with other ad hoc tasks to ensure swift processing of cases
- Liaise with borrowers/brokers throughout the process to ensure understanding and prompt responses
- Partner closely with solicitors and valuers in support of the Case Manager
- Ensure a high standard of service / communication when liaising with borrowers or brokers by telephone, email and letter
- Supporting and developing Case Manager skills and knowledge
- Other duties and projects that may be requested by the Underwriting Manager or HOC from time to time
What we'd like you to have
- Buy to Let (BTL) Underwriting knowledge/experience
- Ability to make quality lending judgements and articulate them fully.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of:
- Credit Referencing Agency reports (personal and commercial)
- KYC/AML/financial crime regulation
- Application scoring
- Land Registry Reports
- RICS Valuations / AVMs
- Commercial, property and contract law
- Strong attention to detail with excellent numeracy and ability to identify risks at an early stage
- Capable and experienced of dealing with a high volume workflow and prioritising accordingly
- Strong understanding of Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) and Conduct Risk and ensuring both principles are key cultural aspects of how the job holder works
- CeMap qualified (Beneficial but not essential)
- Knowledge in short-term bridging lending a bonus
- Solid experience working in a specialist lender
- Knowledge of regulated lending (MCOB) an advantage
- Previous mandate min £250,000
What you’ll get in return
- Matched pension contributions
- Private Healthcare (Vitality scheme)
- Discretionary share-option scheme
- Season Ticket Loan
- 25 days holiday
- Enhance maternity/paternity pay
- Company eye tests
- Subsidised gym membership via PerkBox
- Various other discounts/benefits via PerkBox
- Open bar from 5.30pm (4pm on Fridays)
- Cooked lunch on Friday's from a local restaurant
- A selection of breakfast cereals and fresh fruits and snacks are available each day
- A MacBook or similar and everything else you need to do your job