Engineering Manager (Back-End)
What are we about?
LendInvest is a fast-growing and FinTech business that’s shaping the future of property finance. Since launching in 2008 (as Montello, we rebranded in 2013), our investors have invested in over £1 billion of loans to buy, build or renovate almost 4,000 properties around the UK. We’ve built a highly scalable business model and have secured £39 million equity investment to date from the likes of Atomico, the European venture capital fund led by Skype founder, Niklas Zennström.
LendInvest is the world’s largest online marketplace for property lending and investing, as well as one of the UK’s most exciting FinTech companies. In the last few months we’ve been named in the Sunday Times’ Disrupt 10, a list of the ten most disruptive businesses in the UK, and we debuted at #37 in the 2017 Sunday Times Tech Track 100.
Check out our awesome engineering careers page to find out what it's really like at LendInvest: https://www.lendinvest.com/careers/meet-the-teams/...
What’s the team like?
We are using technology and innovation to make the process of owning and investing in property simple and straightforward. To date - we have loaned £1 billion, but we have set the bar much higher.
We hire people who are passionate about solving real-world problems in an exciting, dynamic, collaborative and fun environment.
Our engineering teams, split into cross functional teams that look after the investor, loan engine and borrower platforms, providing the technology and innovation that allows us to grow and evolve as a business. Without them, we could not achieve the goals we set as a company. From building a brand new microservices architecture to introducing 3rd party services to enable efficiencies or expansion, the challenges are never ending.
We rely heavily on React and Redux consuming RESTful APIs built using PHP7, Symfony3, Node.JS and MySQL. We use AWS, Docker and Kubernetes for infrastructure.
What’s the role like?
We are looking to double (again) the engineering team. We are therefore looking to grow our Engineering leadership team with an experienced and charismatic development manager who will lead multiple cross-functional teams consisting of c15-20 developers. The majority of the team is based in our London HQ, with a smaller near-shore team. You will partner with our existing experienced development manager/architect and report directly to the VP of Engineering.
You will have retained enough technical nous to gain the respect of the team but this is predominantly a hands-off role. You will be experienced in building dynamic teams who are at the forefront of our technology. You will also have significant experience in recruiting talent at all levels. Your role in recruitment, retention and the development of the team is core.
You will have proven experience in developing team members, training, coaching and mentoring them to achieve the most that they can for themselves and Lendinvest. You will partner with the rest of the Engineering leadership team to ensure that the overall team are keeping ahead of changes in technology and ensuring that their skills are continually developed and growing.
What you'll be doing
- Recruit, onboard and retain the best engineers ensuring we grow but not compromising on quality (both in team members and output).
- Inspire, develop and motivate those in your team by providing clear direction, opportunities for learning and mentoring. Pro-actively manage any individual performance problems.
- Ensure we deliver high quality, well designed technical solutions. Ensure that we (continue) to maintain very low levels of technical debt.
- As part of our core engineering leadership team evolve technical best practices, standards and KPIs.
- Help to foster and support a dynamic culture across the engineering team.
- Help refine our agile processes (predominately Kanban) so that we are continually improving.
- Alongside other senior members of the team represent LendInvest at industry events.
- Conduct regular 1:1’s and performance reviews of direct reports.
- Identify and remove any key man dependencies
What we'd need you to have
- Experience of growing, leading and motivating medium to large size agile development teams
- A team player who has exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong technical background in development encompassing any OOP language (preferably PHP), TDD, design patterns, SOA/microservices, relational databases and cloud computing (AWS/GCP).
- Experience in managing on-shore and near-shore teams is advantageous
What you’ll get in return:
- Make a measurable difference. We’re here to change the way the world deals with property by making it accessible for all.
- A relaxed open-plan working environment
- Private Healthcare (Vitality)
- Season Ticket Loan
- Matched pension contributions up to 4%
- Discretionary share-option scheme
- 25 days holiday
- Enhance maternity/paternity pay
- Subsidised gym membership via PerkBox
- Various other discounts/benefits via PerkBox
- Open bar from 5.30pm (4pm on Fridays)
- Cooked lunch on Friday's from a local restaurant
- A selection of breakfast cereals and fresh fruits and snacks are available each day
- A MacBook or similar and everything else you need to do your job and a great team all working towards a common goal.